Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Julia's Rain - Prospect of the Sea

You can listen to "Prospect of the Sea" - a song from the Julia's Rain e.p. wonderful broken silence (1996) - here (if only we had this kind of technology back in the early and mid 1990s).

This song was always one of my favourites. We recorded it with Andrew Watt, here in Halifax, in 1994, and released it a couple of years later. The live version eventually morphed into a more punchy, early "Police" version, but I have a soft spot for the original, although the synth was mixed a bit too heavy, and I wish I could re-do the guitar parts.

The musicians are:

Yours truly, guitars
Kelly McKeigan, vocals (that's her pic on the left)
Glenn MacCulloch, drums
Rob Currie, bass
Andrew Watt, keyboards

"The air that you breathe, steals from my throat..."

Now, I wonder who I wrote that about?

Paul Kimball

6 comments:

Mac said...

I really envy your being in a band, which has got to be a cool experience. Could you burn me a Julia's Rain CD before you head for KC?

Paul Kimball said...

Mac:

Burn?

I'll bring an original copy.

Paul

Mac said...

All right! Score!

Mac said...

Awesome cover-art, BTW.

Paul Kimball said...

Mac:

Thanks. Inspired by the Smiths, obviously.

I wore my influences proudly on my sleeves back then.

Paul

Mac said...

I wore my influences proudly on my sleeves back then.

Nothing wrong with that. If you read "Illumined Black" (which you shouldn't) and you can't shake certain images from William Gibson and "Blade Runner," you're forgiven.